At Shortlanesend School, we view Art and Design as an important part of a broad and balanced curriculum of learning. We strive to encourage all children to produce creative and imaginative work, with no fear of failure.
Our children have constant opportunities through our immersive curriculum to explore their ideas and record their experiences, as well as exploring the work of others and evaluate different creative ideas.
Our children are inspired to become more confident and proficient in a variety of techniques including drawing, painting, sculpting, collage, printing. They will also develop their knowledge of famous artists, architects and designers.
We strive to ensure all our children will develop a life long love and curiosity about art and design through a series of sequential lessons offering skills and knowledge progression whilst providing them with the opportunity to ask questions and demonstrate their skills in a variety of ways.
This mirrors our ethos at SLE of:
Smile - Learn - Excel
- a natural love of Art and design by all our children
- a constant development of new skills
- children to develop confidence and expectations in the quality of their pieces
- children to express feelings and emotions in their art, as well as show their knowledge and understanding in other subjects
- a growing use of technical vocabulary
- children to accurately know, apply and understand skills and processes learnt
- children to be more confident in analysing their work and giving their opinion on their own and other works of art.
- children improving their resilience and perseverance by continually evaluating and improving their work.
- the school environment to ccelebrate children’s achievements in art and demonstrates the subject’s high status in the school
- children able to know more, remember more and understand more about Art and Design